Heathen Hangout

In association with:    The Heathen Hub
(a community for discussion, open to all, whether theist or atheist or whatever)

and also a link to the unconnected
  Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board (FRDB)
and also the unconnected
  Think Humanism board

Go Back   Heathen Hangout > The public side of the Heathen Hangout (Public subforums) > Specials -- serving the community
Here you can choose in which
style you wish to view the HH:

All about the HH     Arcade Recreations Room The  HH   FAQ
Zoints Search Tags Other Site Content - Blogs, Wiki etc. Mark Forums Read

Specials -- serving the community For some special purposes and sudden bursts

Tags: , , , , ,

Old 07-Aug-2013, 06:50 PM (18:50)   #51
Seeker630
Barbequeing the Hangout.

I went to Quebec with my parents in 1959. I was like 10 years old. I remember it though. And the French spoken in Quebec is different in some ways from the real thing. But I can understand them. Two of my last students were from there and their French was very good I thought.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2013, 07:49 PM (19:49)   #52
homo hirsutus
The Very Reverend, and best moustache of the HH

I spent a long weekend in Quebec City while visiting in-laws in Toronto. I have no idea why I had never heard of it before. It is amazing.
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2013, 12:38 AM (00:38)   #53
Seeker630
Barbequeing the Hangout.

It's not really surprising when you consider how languages evolve. We here in the states don't speak English exactly the same as someone from South Africa, Scotland, England or New Zealand. So it's to be expected that people from Switzerland, Belgium, the Congo or Haiti speak different French than someone from Paris or Bordeaux. And even within France----my student is from Paris. Very different than my Grand parents who were from the Auvergne in the south of France.
Old 06-Feb-2014, 12:40 AM (00:40)   #54
Seeker630
Barbequeing the Hangout.

Default New Student

Well it's been some months now, but I have a new student. He is an American 19 yr old high school boy, who reads at about the 4th or 5th grade level. We are pretty sure he is dyslexic. He also spent some time in juvenile detention in his home state of Illinois. He now lives here in Florida with his Aunt and grandparents. I'll be having my 1st lesson with him Friday. We will be using the Barton system of reading and spelling. He has had special ed in the past and it didn't help. Barton is about his last chance.

He is looking for a job, but because he has an adult record, he isn't having any luck so far. The incident he was involved in happened when he was 16, and all he'll tell me about it is that it involved a girl. I'm not sure how a juvenile incident got him an adult record. But there it is. This is going to be a real challenge. All my students up until now have been ESL folks-----foreign language speakers.

About 94-95% of the students in the program are ESL. The other 5-6% are English speakers who have a learning disability, or who "fell through the cracks" in the U.S. school system and can't read very well. According to statistics quoted to me by an instructor in the program, about 1 in 5 children in the U.S. has some degree or another of dyslexia. That's 20% people. Not encouraging. We know that there are a lot more Americans around who cant' read, but they are reluctant to seek help because of the stigma associated----unjustly of course----with not being literate. Our program is trying to make an outreach to find more of them, and we are having some success. The number of American enrolees has increased in this area lately.

Last edited by Seeker630 : 06-Feb-2014 at 12:51 AM (00:51).
Old 06-Feb-2014, 03:14 PM (15:14)   #55
Shadowfox
Lurking... lurking... lurking...

Sometimes the schools do fail the student. Best of luck with this one, and I'm sure you'll have some success. Just expect it!
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote