Heathen Hangout

In association with:    The Heathen Hub
(a community for discussion, open to all, whether theist or atheist or whatever)

and also a link to the unconnected
  Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board (FRDB)
and also the unconnected
  Think Humanism board

Go Back   Heathen Hangout > The public side of the Heathen Hangout (Public subforums) > Slow Forum
Here you can choose in which
style you wish to view the HH:

All about the HH     Arcade Recreations Room The  HH   FAQ
Zoints Search Tags Other Site Content - Blogs, Wiki etc. Mark Forums Read

Slow Forum Where threads move sloooowly...

Old 10-Jan-2012, 01:21 PM (13:21)   #151
Terry
Wistfully hopeful

We have all the TinTin books here at home, because my husband loves comics (we've got the Asterix-comics, too, and several old Donald Duck books), TinTin in the Congo was the one I never liked, but the author himself wrote years after making it, he would have done it far different in later years of his life, though he always built a fair amount of clichees and prejudices into his books. But the drawings are awesome. We didn't make it to the movie though, it was shown a relatively short time.

The new Sherlock Holmes is really not bad, but there's shown too much painful hurtings for MY taste, I get nauseous by that.

Art of the week

Old 11-Jan-2012, 12:14 AM (00:14)   #152
homo hirsutus
The Very Reverend, and best moustache of the HH

The Exterminating Angel

I was kind of unclear on what surrealism is. I think I get it now.
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 02:28 AM (02:28)   #153
grumpy
Officially THE Senior Member

Quote:
The new Sherlock Holmes is really not bad, but there's shown too much painful hurtings for MY taste, I get nauseous by that.
I am really beginning to admire Terry's English usage. Not snark. I do enjoy reading her posts, and half the fun is the flavor she puts into her text.

"I am afraid of suffering eternal torment in hell to exactly the same degree that I am afraid Santa Claus will put a coal in my stocking."- AMC
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 06:01 PM (18:01)   #154
Tharmas
More on a ramble than on a watch-out

Tetris Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
We have all the TinTin books here at home, because my husband loves comics (we've got the Asterix-comics, too, and several old Donald Duck books)...
Your husband has good taste in comics. I have several collections of the old Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge comics written by Carl Barks. Don't still have any Asterix or Tintin around, though.
Tharmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2012, 11:28 AM (11:28)   #155
Terry
Wistfully hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I am really beginning to admire Terry's English usage. Not snark. I do enjoy reading her posts, and half the fun is the flavor she puts into her text.

Thanks, I do my very best to be fun (though mostly unintentionally, but I'm pleased by a good enjoy-of-reading, and this neither is meant snarkily).
Hmmmm.... but this lets me think I would better have used: "I feel nauseated by that" ???

Did I say 'I am disgusting' or 'I was disgusted' in the first place (I'm unsure), or is it just the word nauseous which gives my words "flavor"? [it's one of my favourite english words just because of its sound - the other is surreptitiously]

Last edited by Terry : 12-Jan-2012 at 11:37 AM (11:37).
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2012, 04:13 PM (16:13)   #156
grumpy
Officially THE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Thanks, I do my very best to be fun (though mostly unintentionally, but I'm pleased by a good enjoy-of-reading, and this neither is meant snarkily).
Hmmmm.... but this lets me think I would better have used: "I feel nauseated by that" ???

Did I say 'I am disgusting' or 'I was disgusted' in the first place (I'm unsure), or is it just the word nauseous which gives my words "flavor"? [it's one of my favourite english words just because of its sound - the other is surreptitiously]
Actually, the phrase that caught my eye and tickled me, causing my comment, was:

Quote:
The new Sherlock Holmes is really not bad, but there's shown too much painful hurtings for MY taste, I get nauseous by that
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2012, 04:42 PM (16:42)   #157
Gurdur
Cuddly Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker630 View Post
That's not the title of the one I read, I can't remember it now but it was definitely not that one. ....
ETA: Ok I have this little hobby-----Since I retired over 11 years ago, I have kept a running list on the computer of all the books I have read to date. I just did a search on it and 3 of them were by Agatha Christie------

"Peril at End House", 1931

"And Then There Were None", 1939
"And Then There Were None" was one new title given by the publisher to Agatha Christie's originally-titled "Ten Little Niggers", which as I said was also published under "Ten Little Indians". But And "Then There Were None" is the one you're thinking of and I am speaking of, I'm pretty certain.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2012, 03:43 PM (15:43)   #158
Terry
Wistfully hopeful

"Intouchables"

I heard it was a good movie, but...... it was the incredibly fecking funniest movie I've ever seen. Not the kind of funny like Shrek but the kind of: I laughed myself to tears - literally! It is respectless and full of respect the same time, it touches you but in an absolutely positive way.

The plot of the film is inspired by a true story discovered by the directors in a 2004 documentary film Wiki, caution: the article also tells you the plot, read only if you definitely won't see the movie! But better see it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2012, 07:53 PM (19:53)   #159
homo hirsutus
The Very Reverend, and best moustache of the HH

Just saw Albert Nobbs. It's a great movie, but pretty sad at the same time. It's a great reminder of how socially/economically/sexually oppressive a society can be when religion rules.
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote